The correct format of letter writing, topics of letters and marking scheme are discussed here. These important things will help to make quick and easy preparation for CBSE Class 10 English exam 2021.
In CBSE Class 10 English paper, letter writing is considered as one of the most important questions as students can easily score full marks in this question with a little preparation. However, there is no particular study material or books to learn this question but students just need to understand the correct format according to which the information is to be penned down.
We will explain here some important points along with the correct format which must be considered while writing a letter in the CBSE exams.
In CBSE Class 10 English paper letter writing question carries 8 marks and comes with an internal choice.
Types of Letters To Be Asked in CBSE Class 10 English Exam Are:
1. Topics for Letter to Editor:
2. Topics for Complaint:
3. Topics for Order Placing Letter:
4. Topics for Inquiry:
Format for Writing a Formal Letter
There’s a strict format to follow while writing a formal letter which is explained below:
1. Sender’s address: On the left side of the page, just next to the margin, write the sender’s address/ contact details.
2. Date: Below the sender’s address write the date after leaving one line.
3. Receiver’s address: After date, write the address of the recipient (the Officer / Principal / Editor).
4. Subject of the letter: Here you have to mention the main purpose of the letter in 4 - 5 words.
5. Salutation: Respected Sir / Madam
6. Body: Here you have to explain the matter of your letter. Body of letter must be divided into 3 paragraphs as follows:
7. Complimentary Closing:
Yours faithfully, Yours sincerely
8. Sender’s name/signature and designation (if applicable)
# Understanding letter writing format with help of an example:
Here we are giving an example of a correct letter format referring a the answer written by the highest scorer in CBSE English (Language & Literature) Paper 2018:
Question: You intend to join coaching classes at International Coaching Center situated in Raipur. The institute specializes in teaching science to classes XI – XII. Write a letter of inquiry in 100-120 words addressed to the Administrator incharge of the institute seeking clarification about the timings, duration, staff, transport and other necessary details for joining the institute. You are Rajesh/Rajni 2, Library Road Jabalpur.
Marking Scheme to be followed for Letter Writing Question in CBSE Class 10 English Exam 2020:
Under content, credit should be given for the candidates’ creativity in the presentation of the ideas, appropriate use of language and skills of reasoning.
3 March, 2021, 3:04 pm